Thursday, March 24, 2005

TIMELINE - Akai S2000

OK, this is more or less what happened

  • Bought an Akai S2000 - The deal included a 100 MB Zip drive .
  • Couldn't make the Zip drive work, connected to the Akai.
  • The Zip drive worked while hokked to the PC, though.
  • After a couple of days, the Zip drive sterted clicking.
  • Posted questions in 3 forums, got lots of advice. Everyone told me the Zip drive was dead.
  • Attempted to buy a new one, but they're not available anymore, new.
  • Sent the Zip drive to a repairman (a computer store next to my place, I go there 3 times a day).
  • Looking for Zip drives realized that hard disk were not very expensive (they USED to be expensive and they need a powered case, but prices dropped. A 2 Gb hard disk is very affordable, and many people sell used cases).
  • Realized that I can also plug a hard disk to my old Ensoniq EPS16+.
  • Borrowed a Zip drive from a friend. It worked perfectly with my sampler. Formatted a Zip disk.
  • Went to the computer store, the guy told me that my Zip drive was so dead that the PC coudn't even recognize it. Or was it a mistake of the repairman?
  • Took my friend's Zip drive to the store to find out if it worked.
  • The guys realized that I was talking about SCSI Zip drives (they assumed they were IDE).
  • Took my SCSI PCI card to the computer store.
  • Bid on an Internet page for 3 SCSI disks. I offered $2 Argentinean pesos (less than $1 US).
  • The guy from the computer store returned me the Zip drive: he said it worked flawlessly, perfectly with the PC.
  • Tried the Zip drive with the Akai: no response.
  • Bought an SCSI powered case for hard disks. But I don't have the disk yet.

Before an after each one of these steps called Andrés from Midi-Midi for help...

Technology sucks.

No comments: