Thursday, March 31, 2005

TIMELINE - Akai S2000 PART 2

  • Bid on Internet for two SCSI hard disks starting at $40 (Argentinean pesos, US$14 or less).
  • Asked the guy if he meant $40 per each one (I understood it was $40 for the two of them). The guy said $40 each one.
  • Discussion. Guy agrees $59 total for both SCSI disks (IBM, 2,1 Gb).
  • I won the bid. Called the guy, agree to be at his place to pick up the HD' s Thursday, 21 hs.
  • Thurday 20 hs get the car to do several things.
  • Thursday 20:30 a storm starts. The pouring rain is so heavy that nearly all the traffic lights stop working. The avenues are flooded, people are soaked. My car is very low (in height), I expect it to stop due to the water.
  • Get to the guy's place. The rain stops. I get both HD's for $59.
  • Get home. Try the HD's on the HD case. The Akai doesn't recognize #1
  • Recognizes #2 and formattes it. It takes more than an hour.
  • The PC recorgnizes and formats HD #1.
  • Akai doesn't, again.
  • Try both HD's on my old Ensoniq EPS16+. No response.
  • Trying to make everything work I accidentaly format HD #2 again, so I have to format it again with the Akai.
  • The Akai starts formatting it but displays "FORMAT ERROR!" after an hour or so.
  • I go to bed at 5:00 having decided twrowing the Akai and the HD's by the balcony.
  • Wake up and, instead of mounting the disks on the disk case, I open the PC, disconnect the hard disks (so it won't boot) and plug the SCSI HD's to the SCSI card (instead of the CD burner).
  • Akai recognizes #2!! Formats it.
  • Akai recognizes #2!! Fomats it.
  • Ensoniq EPS16+ recognizes #2!!!!!! Formats it again.
  • I try booting the PC and make an SCSI chain (Akai - HD - PC). I take the termination away from the disk. It works!!! - I load the sounds on the HD using the MESA editor.
  • I cancel my plans of throwing things by the balcony, go dancing in the streets under the pale moonlight instead.
  • Take the SCSI case to repairman.
Technology sucks.

No comments: