Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Canal Pop bio v 1.3

Canal Pop is a pop band from Buenos Aires, Argentina, with catchy electronic songs in English. Bandmembers are Emiliano Canal, keyboards and production, and Gabriela Laguzzi, the singer. The band was started in 2005 when Emiliano finally found in Gaby the singer he was looking for the project he had in mind.

Emiliano was a member of a band called Plastic Orgasm People, also with songs in English, which released some material overseas (that means in the USA and Europe). They were about to release their first album when singer Ale Marino suddenly went to live to New York City and the band was over. That was three years ago, leaving Emiliano with a couple of dozen catchy songs written but without a singer or a band.

"During a couple of years I was in a very curious situation," Emiliano remembers. "Because there were record labels that knew me and asked me for material, and I was locked at home with the songs, auditioning new singers to replace Alejandro. Most musicians have the band and the songs and have no idea of how to release the material. I had the songs and the labels but had no band." But that period had its advantages, because he dedicated himself entirely to write and record new songs, and to produce other people. And the new songs were somehow different to the previous ones.

"My former band was a typical band formed by guys which are 23, 24 years old," says Emiliano. "There were lots of sexual references, even in the name of the band, and that was just a reflex of the kind of life we lived at the time. We and our fans were living alone and away from our parents, going out every night, meeting girls or boys or whatever they liked, waking up late, eating junk food because nobody really knew how to cook, you name it. Now that time is over. I have my own apartment, I go jogging, I wake up early, my friends have kids so everything is less adult and more family oriented, if you allow me the expression. I realize that my songs have somehow changed, because now I don't feel I'm writing only for adults anymore. Any mother can let their kids listen to our stuff. Well, most of it".

The singer, Gaby Laguzzi, had a lot to do with that change. Her image is strangely innocent, a little bizarre and quite sexy at the same time, and she's the proud owner of a privileged voice. "Sometimes I think she's some kind of Japanese character, like Hello Kitty", says Emiliano. "She's got this charming side that attracts kids, from let's say 9 to 13 years old. No wonder that I don't write anymore about those crazy situations. But the odd thing is that she doesn't also attracts the kids, their parents (specially the fathers) seem to like her too. And gay guys love her. Nobody told me that he or she didn't like her. Some people said that Gaby wears bizarre clothes, but this is pop music. You have to look a little ridiculous".

This popular image is not casual. Gabriela has worked for many years as a professional singer, singing backing (and main) vocals with dozens of bands, recording jingles and going on tour with many famous bands. "I've sung jazz, tango, folklore, jingles for soup, jingles for shopping centers, and I've been on a Latin American tour sleeping in five stars hotels and I had to change my clothes in horrible places with no electricity full of cockroaches," remembers Gabriela. "And I really think that it's time to loosen it, to stop doing a thousand things and dedicate myself to Canal Pop and maybe some other little thing. I need to be a project where I can express myself".

----------------------------------------------

www.canalpop.com.ar
www.myspace.com/canalpop

No comments: