Saturday, December 04, 2004

Finished "Don't Bring Me Down"

"Don't Bring Me Down" is finished. Now I like the way it sounds. Of course I added no voices yet but the rest of the instruments are ready.

It was somehow difficult to mix, lots of tracks and the original version has two strange bars before the first chorus that play the drums distorted or processed by what seems to be some kind of filter with some heavy resonance (quite difficult to do in 1979, and original). So I had to run some plug ins to process two bars of the drums mixed and it was hard to make them sound like I wanted to.

Now I feel that I should have taken away the kick drum (on those two bars) because since the drums are heavy filtered they lost the high frequencies and it feels like the song stops there, only to start again at the chorus. (It's an old trick to take elements of the rithm track before the chorus and add them again when that part cames). I'll decide later if I keep it this way (the chorus is catchy anyway. Well, no, the song is so catchy that the chorus is just a change in the pace of the song. The verses themselves feel like they are chorus (I'll tell you what's wrong before I get off the floor...)

My version is ultra catchy. Hope you can hear it sometime.

No comments: